There are many projects which support asylum-seekers and refugees in Bradford District, and all would welcome new volunteers. Here are just a few …..
BEACON (Bradford Ecumenical Asylum CONcern))
As well as campaigning on asylum issues and awareness-raising within churches (and beyond), BEACON has three projects:
- McKenzie Friends are trained volunteers who provide moral support and informed help for those without access to legal representation appealing against asylum decisions, or wishing to make fresh claims. Tel 07531 576330 – or via the office
- The Hosting Projectprovides short, medium and longer-term accommodation for destitute asylum seekers within the homes of volunteer hosts. Will Sutcliffe: [email protected] (07505 053149)
- CHAT weekly English conversation class meets at Touchstone (see below) each Wednesday morning.
- Contact: BEACON office; Touchstone 4 Easby Rd, BD7 1QX; 07419 990578
Destitution Project: housing for asylum seekers made homeless by negative asylum decisions. Currently 5 houses in Bradfor. Contact: [email protected]; 07908 364112
Refugee Housing Project: Temporary accommodation and support, currently only in Leeds, for those whose Home Office support has just ended. Contact 0113 898 0574 / [email protected].
Thursday Drop-In. Held 4 – 5.30pm at Bradford Deaf Centre, 25 Hallfield Road, Bradford BD1 3RP. A good meal is provided as well as signposting to relevant agencies and other sources of support.
Woman’s Club. For women and their children; also at Bradford Deaf Centre, 1-3pm every Thursday. The Club provides opportunities for women to socialise. Relevant professionals regularly attend to provide advice and signposting.
English Lessons. Run by volunteer teachers Thursday afternoons from 4.00 – 5.45pm at Bradford Deaf Centre
No office base or phone number. Email: [email protected] – or just drop in on a Thursday
Befrienders needed to help newly arrived asylum seekers in the city with finding their way around the city. Contact: Duncan Wahuho at [email protected] / 07392 077202
BRITISH RED CROSS
Bradford Refugee Support. Contact Sam Baka: [email protected]; 07872 007819
REFUGEE ACTION. http://www.refugee-action.org.uk/refugee-action-bradford/
Volunteers are needed for all of the following, as well as soon-to-be launched ESOL classes.
The Advice Service provides advice and assistance to refugees and asylum seekers who live in the Bradford District on a number of issues such as housing, employment, health and wellbeing, integration and welfare benefits.
The Children and Families Project. We run two after-school clubs each week, providing opportunities for children and parents to develop relationships, play, improve their English, and become more involved in their community. The clubs involve games, activities, creative arts and healthy snacks.
‘A Home in Bradford’ provides support for asylum seeking and refugee children who are waiting school places (this can sometimes take months, with children bored at home and missing out on education) because they are new to the area or they have moved to a new part of Bradford.
- Match a ‘learning buddy’ with a child/family to provide one-to-one support for that child once a week based on a specialised plan for that child (this could be helping them learn English, learn more and connect to their local area, providing fun and educational games and activities)
- A weekly group that meets every Tuesday from 12-2, our Refugee Action ‘Little School’
- Monthly trips out to local areas of interest
40A Piccadilly Bradford BD1 3NN . Contact: 07703 608 969
St VINCENTS / CHAS
Volunteers needed to help teaching ESOL and supporting our Migrant Support Drop-in.
Contact: Lionel Tschomba, [email protected] Vincents, Rees Way, Bradford, BD3 0DZ.
MILLSIDE CENTRE offers a range of classes and activities for asylum seekers and refugees, including a community café, peer support group, befriending and a choir.
VOLUNTEER CENTRE BRADFORD hold information on a wide range of local volunteering opportunities and are keen to help you find out more about volunteering in the Bradford District.
Appointments available Tuesdays: 10.00-12.00; Thursdays: 10.00 -3.00.
Perkin House,82 Grattan Road, BD1 2LU. Tel: 01274 725434. [email protected]