Welcome to Bradford City of Sanctuary
Bradford City of Sanctuary works to build a culture of welcome for people seeking sanctuary.
We are part of a rapidly growing national movement of over 100 sanctuary groups. In 2010, Bradford was one of the first places in the UK to be formally recognised as a ‘City of Sanctuary’.
Our vision is a city where people seeking sanctuary are not only welcomed and included but recognised for the valuable contribution they make to our community.
Our work is informed by our advisory group of people with lived experience of being refugees and sanctuary seekers. We work through partnerships with statutory, voluntary, business and community groups to create, facilitate and support networks across the city. Our work includes:
– supporting organisations from across Bradford interested in working towards a sanctuary award, ranging from schools and colleges, community gardens and even train stations.
– participating in forums and networks around the city and working alongside our local authority of sanctuary to make sure the refugee voice is represented.
– networking across the city, connecting organisations and promoting best practice.
– advocating for sanctuary seekers, informed by our advisory group of people with lived experience.
– ensuring sanctuary seekers have accessible information, for example helping create welcomebradford.org.
If you would like to support our work why not become a friend of Bradford City of Sanctuary?
New to Bradford? Find the information you need to make a confident start in the city.
We are part of the Together with Refugees Coalition
We stand in support with many countries facing war, including Ukraine.
This excellent video explains Bradford’s history of peace activism and the range of projects and organisations that seek to support sanctuary seekers.